SGA is looking for an Analyst/Energy Modeler to join our Building Sciences team. You would be part of our integrated Sustainability and Design group, working closely with MEP engineers, Architectural designers and Sustainability consultants. We work across large real estate developments including life-science buildings, campuses and universities. Our track record includes commercial, education, science and technology with a focus towards high performance and net-zero projects.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Set Up a full-building energy model using Open Studio, EnergyPlus, or DesignBuilder for a wide variety of project types (laboratories, healthcare, educational, and office) in a wide variety of climates.
- Collaborate with design teams to develop innovative, sustainable, and carbon conscious solutions for our clients.
- Evaluate energy conservation measures (ECMs) including envelope performance improvements, HVAC zoning, HVAC heat recovery, controls, and lighting controls.
- Perform spreadsheet-based calculations of potential energy savings opportunities for projects at the planning stages and for policy development.
- Actively participate with team members in sustainable design charrettes, workshops, and design competitions.
- Review and apply all relevant energy codes including, ASHRAE 90.1, 2018 IECC, and MA Stretch Code.
- Review LEED credit documentation related to energy performance for compliance with standards.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of design professionals.
- Knowledge of building physics and mechanical engineering fundamentals.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents, floor plans, specifications, and details.
- Breakdown complex building science problems into models that accurately predict building performance.
- Experience with fundamentals of HVAC systems such as working principles of HVAC system types, operations, and controls.
- Specialized technical expertise in energy analysis, modeling, and energy code compliance using Openstudio or Energy Plus.
- Strong proficiency in visual scripting interfaces such as Grasshopper / Dynamo, and environmental Rhino plugins such as Honeybee, Ladybug, etc
- Completion of LEED energy model using Appendix G of ASHRAE 90.1
- Excellent technical writing and verbal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute numerous project responsibilities simultaneously.
- Some business travel may be required.
Education + Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural, Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 1+ years of experience with building projects in North America and a comprehensive understanding of energy use in buildings.
Certificate + Licenses
- ASHRAE Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP) certification or similar
- LEED and/or PHIUS certification
Technical Skills/Certifications Preferred
- Knowledge of Radiance, DIVA, and Honeybee is a plus
- Python, or similar scripting/coding
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software
- Perform detailed energy analysis using WUFI Passive
- Perform detailed analysis using THERM, WINDOW, and WUFI
SGA is an architecture, interior design, planning, Virtual Design and Construction, and branded environments practice founded in 1991. With over 100 people in Boston and New York City, SGA pioneers tech-forward design that redefines how projects are visualized and delivered. SGA’s team-first approach and trademark creativity has resulted in over 450M SF of successful, innovative commissions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.