We are seeking a seasoned sustainability-focused architect to join our team and lead our firm’s strategic direction on all sustainable and high-performance projects. As the Sustainability Director, you will be responsible for overseeing all the sustainability and decarbonization aspects of the design for laboratory, office, residential and academic projects throughout the nation.
The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced architect who is passionate about sustainable design and has a deep working knowledge of high-performance buildings. You will be expected to translate this knowledge into solutions that address our client’s sustainability challenges and elevate the function of our firm.
In addition to overseeing the sustainability consulting projects, the ideal candidate for this role will also be a thought leader in the industry and have a strong presence in the market. As a leader in the sustainability space, you will be expected to contribute to the development of the firm’s sustainability strategies, provide guidance to junior team members, and participate in industry events and conferences to raise the firm’s profile. You will also be responsible for developing relationships with key stakeholders and building a strong network of contacts in the sustainability and green building design communities.
Essential Duites + Reponsibilities
- Implement decarbonization strategies for large urban and suburban real estate developments.
- Collaborate with clients and stakeholders to identify and prioritize sustainability goals.
- Lead sustainability design charrettes with all major project stakeholders. Assist team in prioritizing progressive sustainability and energy strategies.
- Analyze the performance of past and current SGA projects in order to document the evolution of design solutions and identify common technical challenges.
- Provide thought leadership and play an influential role in Sustainability and Building Sciences through conferences, white papers, and industry events. Develop business cases through the synthesis and communication of technical research related to environmental, economic, financial, and social impacts.
- Market and grow Sustainability practice across both offices, expand to new markets and provide innovative services.
- Lead and oversee the development of energy and decarbonization reports, solicit bids and select consultants/contractors testing and commissioning.
- Contribute to the collection, management and analysis of all quantitative and qualitative information to be included in SGA project proposals.
- Develop, deploy and manage budgets for sustainability initiatives.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects/project teams concurrently.
- Assist with the firm’s reporting and realization of the AIA 2030 Commitment goals.
- Ensure that all sustainability consulting projects are delivered on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in sustainable design and share knowledge with the team.
- A highly entrepreneurial, self-motivated and results oriented individual who can also motivate others in a hybrid work environment..
- Technical experience with green building design and working knowledge of the LEED rating system with demonstrated LEED experience (at least two LEED projects).
- Regulatory experience with City of Boston Article 37/Carbon Neutral filing, Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) and other local, state and federal approvals and trade standards (BERDO, ASHRAE, LEED, etc.).
- Energy efficiency expertise including the electrification of systems, envelope performance, on-site renewable energy and renewable energy credits.
- Strong leadership, mentorship and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with the execution of energy management strategies, including developing and implementing energy efficiency measures, energy program roadmaps, and performance reporting.
- An intuition of building physics that enables the candidate to act as a resource for design teams and advise on the efficacy of proposed design solutions.
- Clear and effective communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, flexibility, confidence, and integrity.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, collaborate on large teams, and work well under deadlines.
Education + Experience
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in architectural engineering, building science, energy and sustainability management or related fields.
- Minimum 6 years of work experience, with at least 2 years of demonstrated experience in managing sustainability programs/initiatives.
Certificate + Licenses
- Licensed architect or engineer
- LEED AP and/or PHIUS certification
- Perform detailed energy analysis using EnergyPlus, Openstudio and WUFI Passive
- Perform detailed analysis using THERM, WINDOW, and WUFI
- Knowledge of Radiance, DIVA, and Ladybug and Honeybee tools is a plus
SGA is an architecture, interior design, planning, Virtual Design and Construction, and branded environments practice founded in 1991. With over 100 people in Boston and New York City, SGA pioneers tech-forward design that redefines how projects are visualized and delivered. SGA’s team-first approach and trademark creativity has resulted in over 450M SF of successful, innovative commissions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.