SGA is seeking an energetic, detail-oriented, and experienced Sr. lab planner to join its team. This position requires excellent communication and people skills as you will work closely with the Principals, Project Managers and Designers while assuming leadership for architectural lab programming and planning experience for science and technology facilities.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following
[please note that other duties may be assigned].
- Provides advanced technical knowledge in the laboratory planning and programming of various-sized building typologies.
- Lead the planning on multiple projects across multiple specialty lab types
- Provides technical planning expertise for laboratory facilities in the areas of programming, design, fit-out planning, equipment planning, MEP systems integration planning casework specification and construction administration
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with existing and potential clients. Participates in selected marketing and business development opportunities.
- Actively seeks new knowledge in the design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Participates actively in the firm-wide Science + Technology Market within SGA.
- Assures SGA document standards are met and archives documents appropriately.
- Actively participates in industry associations to ensure visibility.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of clients’ program requirements and standards and policies for completion.
- Anticipates and develops solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Assists in the design development, modification and review of laboratory planning concepts and solutions.
- Prepares and modifies architectural documents, elevations, sections, details
- Develops project scope, plan, and services during the contract process. Translates planning concepts into comprehensible terms for clients, designers and project team members.
- Establishes overall project budgets and milestone schedules in coordination with project managers, architect and project engineers.
- Communicates planning concepts to project teams, both verbally and through graphic and written reports.
- Mentors and directs the work of the staff, participate in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Develops architectural drawings and specifications to communicate planning concepts for project documentation and construction.
- Applies proper QA/QC methods throughout project. May lead this effort.
- Leads project meetings and presentations; ensure client is adequately updated on project progress.
- Development of standard materials that describe the portfolio, systems, processes and people of the Science + Technology Group.
- Speak or participate in professional conferences or other events related to area of laboratory programming, planning and design.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Have developed highly advanced field of knowledge and/or expertise and is recognized outside of SGA as an authority on the subject of scientific research.
- Demonstrated creativity, passion and interest for the planning and design of laboratory facilities for the sciences and engineering.
- Regular active participant, as speaker, moderator, and/or organizer in professional conferences and other events related to their field of expertise.
- Regarded by their peers as a resource for advice, peer reviews, and instruction (whether through conferences, symposia or teaching in an academic setting) in their area of expertise.
- Knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction cost control for lab facilities.
- Knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Articulates well in both verbal and written communication.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Displays ability to collaborate and coordinate with all others, contributes to office knowledge and spirit in identifiable and demonstrated ways
Education + Experience
- Professional degree in Architecture.
- 8+ years’ experience in science, engineering, academic and private sector research laboratories.
Certificate + Licenses
- A professional architectural license is required.
- LEED accredited professional is preferred.
- Is adept in using REVIT, Auto CAD and all Microsoft Professional products.
- Experience in SketchUp and/or Adobe products is a plus
- Displays eagerness and an ability to learn all software relevant to business operations.
SGA is an architecture, interior design, planning, Virtual Design and Construction, and branded environments practice founded in 1991. With over 100 people in Boston and New York City, SGA pioneers tech-forward design that redefines how projects are visualized and delivered. SGA’s team-first approach and trademark creativity has resulted in over 450M SF of successful, innovative commissions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.