The role of the Senior Interior Designer is to lead and implement all facets of the design process from conceptual design through construction administration, including development of design solutions, research, finish/lighting/furniture specification and drawing production. Responsible for assuring office-wide objectives of enhanced design expertise and client service are successfully applied to every project to which he/she is assigned – from the earliest concept study through construction administration. With support from junior staff, the Senior Interior Designer is expected to define and articulate the project design and to maintain an enhanced level of commitment to the success of the project throughout its development and implementation. Serves as design lead, directs and oversees junior staff and manages projects at a high level with support from Project Managers and Design Director.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Assists the Project Manager with day-to-day project coordination
- Develops integrated tasks to accomplish, coordinates and monitors technical work for multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provides leadership by coordinating and motivating members of the project team, provides effective problem solving by addressing problems and providing solutions that are consistent with the service philosophy of the firm.
- Leads design efforts from concept development through construction administration; involves the Design Director in the establishment of design direction.
- Develops and implements design concepts and oversees junior staff to ensure design intent is met and maintained.
- Works with junior staff to create and effectively present proposed design solutions to clients through the use of plans, elevations, 3D perspectives and specifications
- Contributes to project team by directing the performance of the technical work to complete a project.
- Coordinates the technical efforts of individuals on assigned projects and assures that tasks are completed within designated time frames, budgets and project design goals.
- Monitors progress toward deliverable schedules.
- Keeps Project Manager and Department Director apprised of project status and submits recommendations for approvals as projects progress or when necessary.
- Coordinates project design reviews with Project Team, Principals, Department Directors and Project Managers.
- Is responsible for the daily progress of construction document development
- Assists the Project Manager in assigning and managing the completion of individual team member tasks.
- Reviews and approves shop drawings, reviews ongoing progress of the work and completes punch lists.
- Resolves issues and problems that arise during construction; coordinates construction administration process with the Project Team.
- Full understanding of consultant (structural, civil, M.E.P., etc.) documents and ability to coordinate between architectural and consultant drawings.
- Has full understanding of building codes and regulations.
- Has full knowledge of BOMA measurement criteria and able to understand and complete and manage accurate measurements in accordance with the project goals.
- Consistently has high billable percent of time. Generally above 85% direct labor percentage over the course of a year.
- Is an ambassador of SGA and assists in marketing and business development efforts.
- Contributes to own professional development by actively participating in the mentoring program and other internal and external programs and training which enhance knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Special projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Articulates well in both verbal and written communication.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter with the ability to work well independently and as a team player
- Displays ability to collaborate and coordinate with all others, contributes to office knowledge and spirit in identifiable and demonstrated ways
- Displays the desire to advance skills, contribute positively to projects and takes ownership of tasks and assignments.
- Serves as a role model and mentor for others.
- Helps to resolve team conflicts when they arise; promotes teamwork and conducts regular team meetings.
- Has ease and full ability to present project information to clients and lead project meetings.
- Develops lasting relationships with clients, vendors and consultants; builds client loyalty.
Education + Experience
- Bachelors Degree
- 8 or more years of experience
Certificate + Licenses
- A professional architectural license or NCIDQ registration is required.
- LEED accredited professional is preferred.
- Is adept in using REVIT, Auto CAD and all Microsoft Professional products.
- Experience in SketchUp and/or Adobe products is a plus.
- Displays eagerness and an ability to learn all software relevant to business operations.
Equal employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.