The role of the Principal, Academic Architecture, is to oversee and lead the academic discipline at SGA, a national, award winning architecture and interior design practice. The Principal position is responsible for revitalizing, developing and nurturing an entire department focused on delivering academic sector facilities including student life, visual and performing arts, academic learning facilities, residential and food services, and administrative facilities. Principals at SGA typically have a well-positioned presence in the market with an ability to impact both the real estate market as well as SGA firm culture. Responsible for the health and well-being of their department, the Principal position at SGA includes the opportunity to become a shareholder.
Essential DuTIes + Reponsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Possess a deep understanding of market dynamics and trends, current and target clients and owners, and competitive landscape
- Grow the firm’s portfolio and revenue per the firm’s strategic plan through Business Development
- Expand both the firm’s geographical presence and key focus markets
- Make strategic hires for the Higher Ed team
- Provide technical and administrative supervision to the Higher Ed department
- Assure that technical, administrative, man-hour, and schedule targets are met
- Establish departmental procedures and maintain design-control measures
- Manage technical and design guidelines
- Share teaching moments with the firm regarding Academic work including pursuit process, major project features
- Share teaching moments with the Higher Ed team including how to work the client and the process of what goes into the documents
- Participate actively in executive management meetings involving the Strategic Plan, departmental programs and business development initiatives
- Review documented technical requirements, development and project plans to ensure adherence to defined standards and to facilitate the transfer of knowledge throughout the development staff.
- Facilitate code reviews, software design sessions and architectural reviews.
- Participate in career planning, development, and performance management for direct reports.
- Mentor staff.
- Be publicly visible at conferences and in press.
- Other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required for this position.
- Business acumen: understands business principles and financial performance metrics; supports actions to continuously improve SGA’s business performance
- Emotional intelligence: exhibits self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills
- Employee engagement: fosters SGA’s culture through setting an example, advising committees and work groups, and directing talent recruitment and retention.
- Communications skills: listens with open-mindedness and respect. Communicates transparently with clarity, confidence, friendliness, and empathy.
- Technical expertise: recognized as a subject matter expert and advanced leader in practice area
- Thought leadership: positions as a leading mind in architecture and design through leadership in professional associates, conferences, and publishing. Represents SGA’s brand in the marketplace.
Education + Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, though specific experience, when applicable, may be substituted for required degree.
- Minimum 10 years of industry experience.
Certificate + Licenses
- A professional architectural license or NCIDQ registration is required.
- LEED and/or WELL and FitWel accreditation is preferred.
- Active member in applicable professional organization(s).
- Must be proficient in all Microsoft and Google business products
- Must possess strong working knowledge of Revit and other design software
- Exhibits willingness to learn other software platforms as required to perform role effectively
SGA is an architecture, interior design, planning, Virtual Design and Construction, and branded environments practice founded in 1991. With over 100 people in Boston and New York City, SGA pioneers tech-forward design that redefines how projects are visualized and delivered. SGA’s team-first approach and trademark creativity has resulted in over 450M SF of successful, innovative commissions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.