The Job Captain is responsible for assuring that individual project elements and tasks are successfully explored and, for smaller projects where a Project Architect is unassigned, that the responsibilities as outlined for the Project Architect are fulfilled. Working with the Project Architect or Project Manager, he/she is expected to take ownership in the comprehensive study and documentation of the project during its development, and add to the office objectives of enhanced communication, heightened design capability and improved document execution.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Assist the Project Manager or as directed by the Project Architect with day-to-day project coordination.
- Oversee the performance of individual team members in fulfilling their assigned tasks.
- Has ability to coordinate multiple projects at one time.
- Provides leadership to in-house project team by coordinating and motivating members of the design team, provides effective problem solving in addressing project challenges by providing solutions that are consistent with the service philosophy of the firm and the goals of the project.
- Must be able to thoroughly document site conditions and fulfill key tasks at the beginning of a project, such as acquiring available existing data, photographs, etc.
- Must be able to prepare meeting minutes, document site visits and maintain client and project files
- Must be capable of adding value to the development of design studies and must possess an understanding of design intent to enhance the consistency and quality of design as technical issues are resolved.
- Must have the ability to put together a complete set of construction documents and develop details for project components as assigned.
- Displays full knowledge and use of SGA standards and is as equally responsible as the PM for team adherence to the standards.
- Has ability to administer construction administration services under the direction, and in coordination with, SGA’s Construction Administrator.
- Has knowledge to review and approve shop drawings. Produces ASI’s, bulletins, addenda and responds to RFI’s or leads other team members through process.
- Has working knowledge of consultants (structural, civil, M.E.P., etc.) documents
- Responsible for the coordination of all consultant documents if no Project Architect is assigned to the project.
- Has working knowledge of the codes and zoning laws affecting the design and documentation of their projects.
- Responsible for all code and zoning reviews under the direction of the PM or PA.
- Direct Labor Percentage Generally, Job Captains are expected to achieve a 90% direct labor percentage over the course of a year.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Serves as a role model for junior staff.
- Displays ability to coordinate with others, contributes to office knowledge and spirit in specific ways.
- Helps the PM & PA to resolve team conflicts when they arise; conducts oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Displays the desire to advance skills, contribute positively to projects and take ownership of tasks and assignments.
- Displays an ability to articulate well in both verbal and written communication; is becoming comfortable with presenting information to clients and other parties; is able to play an active role in client and team meetings.
- Able to maintain relationships with clients, vendors and consultants; maintains client loyalty.
- Continues to increase knowledge base to remain current in the industry.
- Shows commitment to one’s own education and advancement by seeking and completing training and education
- Possesses and continues to develop the intellectual capital, market knowledge and experience in one of SGA’s specific target markets such that they are able to speak the “language” of that market sector and is looked upon as expert by clients and colleagues.
Certificate + Licenses
- Should be actively pursing professional license
- LEED accredited professional or working towards accreditation
Must be proficient in REVIT, AutoCAD, Sketch-up and Photoshop.
Equal employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.