The Architecture Designer assists senior designers and helps direct junior designers with all
facets of the design process from conceptual design through construction administration,
including development of design solutions, research and finish/lighting/furniture
specification and drawing production.
Responsible for assuring office-wide objectives of enhanced design expertise and client
service are successfully applied to every project to which he/she is assigned – from the
earliest concept study through construction administration. Working with senior staff, the
Architecture Designer is expected to articulate the project design as defined during the
earliest phases by the project designer and/or project leadership, and to maintain an
enhanced level of commitment to the success of the project throughout its development and
Essential Duites + Reponsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. As a Designer Level 3, these skills
should be self-guiding without a lot of guidance needed.
[please note that other duties may be assigned].
- Implements design studies under the direction of senior staff.
- Develops design presentations through plans, elevations and 3D perspectives.
- Contributes to project team by assisting with technical work to complete a project.
- Is responsible for the daily progress of construction document development
- Assists in CA duties including RFI responses, shop drawing review, developing punch lists and other administrative tasks.
- Helps to resolve issues and problems that arise during construction
Structural & MEP Documents
- Has a working understanding of consultant (structural, civil, M.E.P., etc.) documents in order to coordinate between architectural and consultant drawings.
- Has a working understanding of building codes and regulations.
- Has working knowledge of BOMA measurement criteria and able to understand and complete and manage accurate measurements in accordance with the project goals.
Direct Labor Percentage
- Consistently has high billable percent of time. Generally above 85% direct labor percentage over the course of a year.
- Is an ambassador of SGA and assists in marketing and business development efforts.
- Contributes to own professional development by actively participating in the mentoring program and other internal and external programs and training which enhance knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Serves as a role model for junior staff
- Helps assist the PM and Sr. Designer to resolve team conflicts
- Is looked upon as expect by clients and colleagues.
- Continues to increase knowledge base to remain current in the industry.
- Displays the desire to advance skills, contribute positively to projects and take ownership of tasks and assignments.
- Displays an ability to articulate well in both verbal and written communication; is becoming comfortable with presenting information to clients and other parties; is able to play an active role in client and team meetings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential task
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill,
and/or ability required.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Serves as a role model and mentor for others.
- Articulate well in both verbal and written communication.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter with the ability to work well independently and as a team player.
- Displays ability to collaborate and coordinate with all others and contribute to office
knowledge and culture in identifiable and demonstrated ways.
- Displays the desire to advance skills, contribute positively to projects and takes
ownership of tasks and assignments.
Education + Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from an accredited university.
- 6 or more years of experience
Certificate + Licenses
- Not Required but applicant or employee should be actively pursuing.
- Is adept in using REVIT, Auto CAD and all Microsoft Professional products.
- Experience in SketchUp and/or Adobe products is a plus.
- Displays eagerness and an ability to learn all software relevant to business operations.
SGA is an architecture, interior design, planning, Virtual Design and Construction, and branded environments practice founded in 1991. With over 100 people in Boston and New York City, SGA pioneers tech-forward design that redefines how projects are visualized and delivered. SGA’s team-first approach and trademark creativity has resulted in over 450M SF of successful, innovative commissions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Firm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The Firm complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Firm has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. The Firm does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.